Mt. Talinis: Bediao – Apolong

This is a late post from our climb in Mt. Talinis one month ago. I tag along with my office mate and his group, Tribu Tambok. It was my first major climb and guess what? I did not have any pre-climb preparation at all.


At about 1,903 masl, Mt. Talinis, also known as Cuernos de Negros (Horns of Negros), is a complex volcano in the Philippine province of Negros Oriental. It is the second highest mountain in Negros Island next to Mt. Kanlaon. It is classified by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology as a potentially active volcano forming part of the Negros Volcanic Belt. With a base diameter of 36 kilometres (22 mi), the volcanic complex is composed of several volcanic cones and peaks, the most prominent of which are Talinis, Cuernos de Negros, Guinsayawan, Yagumyum Peak and Guintabon Dome. Source: Wikipedia

On December 9, we were supposed to ride a boat from Cebu city pier one to Dumaguete but unfortunately, Cokaliong shipping line had to cancel the trip due to maintenance issues. Instead, we took the last trip bound for Liloan in Cebu South Bus Terminal.

Day 1. We arrived at 1:00 A.M at the port area and waited for the first trip bound for Sibulan.

At 8:00 A.M, we reached Dauin for the registration and proceeded to the jump off point.

At 8:15, we began our short prayer and then began to ascend.

After a few slopes, I began to feel the pain slowly moving up my leg and my energy started to drain. The rest stops helped me regain my energy a little. I knew how important pre-climb preparation was for a major climb but I never realized how imperative it was until then haha. For a noob like me and for having no pre-climb preparation, I would have died right there and then but prayers work all the time. Miracles do happen. 😀

The trail was wet and muddy. It added to the difficulty level of the trail. Its difficulty was rated 6/9. Now, I see why. We had to pass through difficult assaults and crawl under the fallen logs.

We reached Lake Yagumyum at noon, just in time for lunch. We were the first group to arrive in the lake. Oh by the way, I would like to emphasize this because this is one of the most basics in mountaineering. I know I’m not a pro but at least I learn some basics. Some group was so overwhelmed by the view of the lake that they forgot it was a water source, as per our guide. By that I mean, you are not supposed to go into the water with your muddy shoes or any way that will contaminate the water just to get a good spot for your Instagram and Facebook posts. Contain yourself people!!! If you do not know the basics, then, please ask your guide or some experts. Gees!! We drank from that water and other climbers too.

After lunch, we, then, continued and reached Lake Nailig before 6:00 P.M. I liked the spot where we pitched our tent. It’s cozy.

Day 2. Most of the climbers intended to climb the peak. As for us, we decided to stay prolly because we woke up late and some just wanted to reserve the energy for another hour of grueling trek.

We were able to break camp completely at 9:30A.M. and began the trek by 10:00 A.M. We were 2 hours behind the schedule.

At noon, we passed by Kaipuhan Sulfur. Most of the blogs say that the smell of the sulfur in the river is strong but for some reason it wasn’t during that time.

After about 30 minutes or so, after Kaipuhan Sulfur, we arrived in that spot, I don’t know what it’s called, for our lunch.

We’re glad there was fresh cold spring water in there.

Due to some delays, our side trip to Casaroro Falls was canceled. We also had to minimize our short stops. Apparently, we were caught in the dark in the middle of the forest. We were able to get back to civilization around 7:00P.M. and then ended the night with a sumptuous dinner at Mang Inasal to celebrate the successful climb. 😀


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: